Japan Geoscience Union Meeting 2016

Session information

International Session (Oral)

Symbol S (Solid Earth Sciences) » S-IT Science of the Earth's Interior & Techtonophysics

[S-IT06] Interaction and Coevolution of the Core and Mantle

Mon. May 23, 2016 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM 304 (3F)

Convener:*Satoru Tanaka(Department of Deep Earth Structure and Dynamics Research Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology), Taku Tsuchiya(Geodynamics Research Center, Ehime University), Chair:Taku Tsuchiya(Geodynamics Research Center, Ehime University), Madhusoodhan Satish-Kumar(Department of Geology, Faculty of Science, Niigata University)

Recent observational and experimental investigations have significantly advanced our understanding of the structure and constituent materials of the deep Earth. However, details of the chemical composition of the mantle, accounting for 80% of the volume of the entire Earth, and light elements expected to exist in the core, corresponding to the remaining 20%, have remained unclear for over 60 years. Seismological evidence has suggested a vigorous convection at the core-mantle boundary region, whereas geochemistry has suggested the presence of stable regions that hold the chemical signature of early Earth's formation at 4.6 gigayears ago. In addition, the amounts and types of radioactive isotopes that act as the heat sources that drive the dynamic behaviors of the deep Earth are also still largely unknown. We provide an opportunity to exchange the achievements and ideas, and encourage the persons who try to elucidate these unresolved mysteries of deep Earth science through comprehensive investigations of the interactions between the core and mantle by combining high-pressure and high-temperature experiments, microscale geochemical analysis, high-resolution geophysical observations, geo-neutrino observations and large-scale numerical simulations.

3:30 PM - 3:45 PM

*Seiji Kamada1,2, Takanori Sakairi2, Tatsuya Sakamaki2, Eiji Ohtani2, Hidenori Terasaki3, Hiroshi Fukui4, Alfred Q.R. Baron5, Akio Suzuki2, Hiroshi Uchiyama6, Satoshi Tsutsui6 (1.Frontier Research Institute for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Tohoku University, 2.Department of Earth Science, Graduate school of Science, Tohoku University, 3.Dpartment of Earth and Space Science, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, 4.Graduate School of Material Science, University of Hyogo, 5.RIKEN, 6.JSRI)