12th East Asian Dam Conference (EADC)

Practical Information

Currency and foreign exchange
The Japanese currency is called the yen. Cash is the most widely accepted method of payment. Major credit cards are widely accepted, except in some small sole traders. Debit cards are almost unknown and should not be relied upon as a payment option. Traveler’s checks are only accepted for exchange in banks and post offices, and, in general, cannot be used to purchase goods and services. Foreign exchange can be performed in banks, larger post offices and ATMs in airports. ATM cash machines are available at major convenience stores. 
In the unlikely event of an emergency while you are in Nagoya it is good to know the systems in place to support you. Your first source of information and advice should be your hotel or the Secretariat of Organizing Committee for the 12th East Asian Area Dam Conference.
Personal safety & security
You are always recommended to take the proper precautions you would normally practice when in an unfamiliar place. It is strongly recommended that visitors carry insurance against any possible injury.
June in Nagoya is a beautiful month with fresh greenery, but it may not always be a pleasant time. It is said to be the beginning of the rainy season, and it becomes hot and humid. Be sure to bring a folding umbrella with you as this is the rainy season. It can get cold at night, so a light jacket will be useful.
If you forget your umbrella, you can purchase a durable, large-size plastic umbrella at a nearby convenience store for 600 yen.

Telephones & mobile phones
The Japanese mobile phones protocol is different from that in other parts of the world and it is difficult to give useful information here. The best advice is check with your provider before you depart.
Mains electricity is supplied at 100 volts AC at the frequency of 60 Hertz in Nagoya. Most portable computers and cameras are internationally compatible, but you are advised to check your equipment before departure.
Mains sockets require a Type A plug and you are advised to obtain an adaptor before departure if needed. Type A plugs have two flat blades and are used in the US and Canada too.